Saturday, June 7, 2008

First Week and Clinical Info

I survived my first week! I realized I now only have 8 more weeks of class and then one week of finals and the first semester is over! Yikes!!

The first week was fantastic! There is a TON of reading, for which I have decided to train myself in speed reading when I go home for break. The classes are long and the amount of important information I receive is ridiculous! I have about a 35 hour week which includes a lot of lecture, a lot of lab, and 6 hours of clinical.

This week we didn't have real clinical, it turns out they want us to know a little bit of information before putting us in with real patients but I did get my assignment. I will spend the next 8 weeks in a rehab facility for spinal cord injuries/neuro with some medical overflow. As I understand it, patients could be of all ages with a vast number of reasons for visit. I will be working on vital signs and complete health histories my first week! Just to spark your imagination, here are two beautiful pictures of my uniform!! I wore my stethoscope for effect. Please pay special attention to the tapered pants and the over-sized lab jacket. If that isn't fashion, I don't know what is.

Anyway, this first week was a bit of an adjustment but I feel a lot more settled in Baltimore and I am getting into a rhythm for studying so that is good.
This weekend will be spent READING mostly, this morning I read about safety at home, in the hospital and in general and I also read self care and hygiene. Thrilling. Back to studying!

1 comment:

Eguchi said...

Hi Jules,

Uncle Mike and I enjoyed your nursing school blog---especially the first day of school photos and the fashion photos in your lab coat! Loved the vocab as well!

Also, you may be burning up, but we are having the worst June weather since 1894! UW graduation is Sunday and it might even warm up!

Keep up the good work!

Love, Aunt Linda and Uncle Mike