Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Week Three . . . DRE

It's Wednesday today, halfway through another week, which, as usual seems to be flying by! I never thought that school and studying could take up so much time but alas!! I had my very first Johns Hopkins exam this morning . . . the start of many. Pretty much from now until the end of the semester, I have an exam or large project due every week.

Right now I am learning pretty much all of the basics. We practiced subcutaneous (SQ) injections, blood glucose testing, reconstituting medicines and administering PO (by mouth) medicines. In addition, in our other lab, we are learning basic system exams. I am now trained in the respiration exam, cardiac and peripheral vascular exams. I am basically famous because of my heart murmur.

Tomorrow we have our second clinical and we will be required to assist with AM Care which includes: Vitals, Assisting (based on patient's level of need) with baths and changing bed linens. We also are working on acquainting ourselves with a patient's chart.

Anyway . . . that's the basic update for this week. I am finding it truly astonishing the amount of information I have already learned! Each week is definitely exciting and new!

(And if you were wondering about the title of this post . . . I was told in class that I would do at least a dozen of these exams throughout my career in nursing, I challenge you to google it . . . something to look forward to.)

1 comment:

GLORIA said...

Digital Rectal Exam. pff. easy. (to google... not to do)