Friday, September 12, 2008

Fall Semester is Underway

I just completed week two of my fall semester so I thought I better update on what has been going on in Baltimore. I have fewer classes this semester so a bit more non-class time on my hands, however, now my free time has been taken up with memorizing various drugs, studying pathophysiology and things about childbearing.

My classes this semester are a bit harder than last but very interesting. It is really fun to see all the information come together. I love my clinical rotation so far this semester. I am working in the postpartum department and working with new mom's. I have learned how to do a full postpartum assessment, given my first medications and even my first shot! This clinical is a lot more hands on which I really enjoy! I am starting to feel like a real nurse!

I have two more weeks of postpartum and then I will do labor and deliver for a few weeks before switching clinicals and moving on to psych. I am really looking forward to seeing some babies being born! The rotation this time is just SO happy, I leave every day feeling energized since there are so many happy people around.

I have started my doula training and I have a long seminar this weekend. I should be working with my first mom in the next couple of weeks. If you are interested in reading more about Doulas you can visit http://www.dona.org/. I am just so impressed with everything I have learned about being a Doula and what a fantastic thing it is to do.

Anyway, that is about it from me! The weather here is not so good which will make it easier to stay in and study. I have my first exam of the semester next week so its time to crack down and study.

More to come later . . .

No comments: