Thursday, November 6, 2008

Aww Poop . . .

I thought when I had my rotation in Psych Mental Health I would have a break from bodily fluids and the sort but alas it isn't so. Apparently all fields of nursing have an equal opportunity for exposure to poop. Yes I know that feces is a more polite term but to me it will always be poo. Apparently I look like just the gal to assign the older adult with bowel incontinence. Now don't get me wrong my patient was a sweetheart, I enjoyed my TWO days of working with him and I learned a ton but alas I was once again reminded that adult feces are not my forte. Fortunately the patient had lovingly supplied air freshener so I could mask the odor quite nicely with the smell of flowers but not before gagging just a little bit. Give me blood, wounds, needles, even vomit and NO problem but throw in some poop or even worse a colostomy (patient from the summer) and I crumble just a little bit. They have told us throughout nursing school that every nurse has SOMETHING they have trouble with and it was confirmed once again for me that adult poop is mine . . . I guess that is why I see pediatrics in my future.

I am sorry for the very graphic nature of this post but if I can't share it here my friends then where exactly CAN I share it. Enjoy the rest of your week!

No comments: