Friday, October 17, 2008

From Babies to Psych

I finished my labor and delivery rotation today and next week I am moving on to psychiatric nursing. I will be working at a hospital in an inpatient unit where they have a wide range of disorders (schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, eating disorders, etc). I can't wait for my first post after that! I have heard from the group that did psych the first part of the semester that basically I will be solidifying my ability to ask questions!

Anyway, a final update on how my labor and delivery rotation finished up. I did finally get to see a vaginal delivery! It was an amazing experience but honestly not all that different looking than the videos! My patient received an epidural so even my doula skills were not that useful since she couldn't feel anything. I put in her catheter so more experience there. My patient was particularly lucky because she only pushed for about 15 minutes and had no complications at all! It was a baby girl, 6lbs 1oz and she was adorable. I again got to do eyes and thighs on the baby and vitals every 30 minutes.

I am happy to be another step closer to graduating! I can't believe that half the semester is already done and it is getting close to Thanksgiving! Thank goodness time seems to fly by!

No comments: