Thursday, October 2, 2008

The Placentas Go in There . . .

Last week I did orientation to the labor and delivery (L&D) department for the start of my L&D rotation. The tour went like this . . . these are the L&D suites, this is the OR, here is the staff restroom, here is the nutrition room, supplies . . . oh and the placentas go in here. For some reason I haven't been able to get that comment out of my head!

Anyway, today was my first day of L&D and it was quite uneventful. My instructor assigned patients starting with the first of the alphabet and since my last name starts with an "S" I didn't get a patient today. It was a pretty boring day of sitting around but I did get the chance to see a spinal and a tubal ligation (tubes tied) which was pretty interesting.

I have never seen a spinal and it was pretty crazy. You definitely hear a "POP" as it gets inserted into the right place and there was definitely cerebral spinal fluid dripping out for a second after it was placed BUT the lady felt NOTHING from the armpits down so I guess it did the job.

Tomorrow is day two of L&D and me and the other girl who didn't see a birth today have been promised a woman who is fairly well dilated . . . should be a good Friday! Oh and I am off to a Cake concert this evening so I get to have a bit of fun as well!

No comments: