Thursday, October 9, 2008

It's A Boy!

I had my first baby today! It was a repeat cesarean section. The baby boy was born a healthy 8 pounds. It was a fantastic experience and I loved the OR experience. Here is a bit about my day:
  • 7:30 introduce myself to the patient and her husband and hope she likes me enough to do her foley.
  • 7:45 put in my first foley! It was an interesting experience but it went pretty well. It is a little tougher than you might think but my patient didn't complain and she had no anesthesia so it couldn't have been too bad.
  • 8:00 into the OR and out of the way.
  • 8:05 watch the spinal placed . . . very cool.
  • 8:15 again out of the way as much as possible with the best view possible and they start to cut. I am always AMAZED by the human body and to be able to see the inner workings makes it even better!
  • 8:30 baby out and over to the pediatricians. I have about five minutes from this point to try and remember everything I am supposed to do and put on my gloves.
  • 8:35 do "eyes and thighs" which is the babies very first shot (sorry) and the eye ointment in both eyes. I also did respirations, heart rate and the official foot prints
  • 8:40 swaddle the baby and hand to dad so that the mom can see her little bundle of joy!
  • 8:50 doctors finish closing and we move into recovery
  • 9:00-10:30 stay in recovery, hang out with the family and take babies vitals every 30 minutes.
  • 10:30 mom headed to postpartum and I am DONE!

It was such an amazing experience. I am hoping for a vaginal birth tomorrow!

1 comment:

cadre said...

You sound so happy honey! We love hearing about everything you are learning and doing. Love from Mom and Dad