Tuesday, January 20, 2009

OR Day

With my excitement over Obama and the inauguration I forgot to post about my OR day. I was able to spend last Friday in the general OR at Hopkins. It was such a neat opportunity! I saw a liver resection where they removed a gallbladder and 3 sections of liver from a person. It is crazy how adaptable our bodies can be after such a procedure. Did you know you can give away 70% of your liver to a friend and it will grow back?

Anyway, the OR is definitely something I might consider down the line in my nursing career but I am still too excited about interacting with patients to jump right to the OR.

A few facts you may not know based on what TV has shown you:
  • They leave the lights on in the OR.
  • There are more than just doctors in there.
  • They do indeed play music, the type depends on surgeon preference. We had a nice mix.
  • Cauterizing smells like wood burning.

That's pretty much it for now! I am in my third week of school already with my first test of the semester tomorrow. I also just found out Steve is coming to visit in three weeks so that really made my day!!

1 comment:

cadre said...

Wow, just like Grey's Anatomy!! It does sound exciting and it was fun to hear you talk about it on the phone. I have to laugh as I remember you watching the surgery channel as a teenager.
Love